The US economy has been experiencing a shortage of workers with a record 9.2 million job openings as of the end of May, according to Reuters.
“Small business optimism is rising as the economy opens up, yet a record number of employers continue to report that there are few or no qualified applicants for open positions,” the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) Chief Economist said. Some of the reasons include employees’ fear of getting sick in the workplace, benefits allowing people to delay going back to work, schools being closed and children needing to be cared for at home, low wages, and other reasons causing people to consider career changes.
In order for Human Resource departments and recruiters to navigate these more challenging times, they should cast a wider net in their searches. Some of the ways employers can make sure to attract as many qualified candidates as possible are:
- Reconsidering the requirements in job descriptions such as number of years of experience or specific software programs when they can be easily learned on the job.
- When available and you feel comfortable, going back to in-person networking at job fairs and other events.
- Making sure the salaries offered are as competitive as possible by researching through industry associations and websites like Glass Door.
- Responding to and following through with every candidate on a timely basis,
- Work with a professional staffing agency to help you find the best fit for your team and your budget.
Creative Options has been in the trenches with our clients throughout the pandemic and we understand the challenges that HR departments and hiring managers are facing today. We can help you navigate the worker shortage you are facing by providing candidate searches in whatever capacity you may need. Our talent base of vetted, experienced professionals can be available to you to provide temporary workers to fill critical roles on your team. You may find these temporary placements can become great opportunities to screen candidates for permanent positions as well. Please reach out to us today and we’ll be happy to discuss how we can help.